Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I was always bad at journaling.

So here's the thing. I'm newly-married, fresh out of college, and like 4.5% of other college graduates like me, I'm not employed but looking. That, boys and girls, is called frictional unemployment. Not the worst situation, even when the news makes it seem like many more are unemployed because of lack of education, but maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way.

Let's be optimistic here. If the unemployment rate is 4.5%, then the employment rate for college graduates are 95.5%. (I may have done terrible in business calc, but I can subtract!) That sounds much better! Oh but wait, what is my profession? Educator. Hmm. Well, that doesn't work out the way it's supposed to be. But, I am hopeful and waiting for that call, now that school is over, and working on my portfolio. And even if I do get a call, which my husband asserts me that I will, I still don't have a job for the summer (which can be considered as seasonal unemployment, but that's unimportant).

So what to do with myself? It was much easier to not have anything to do in the summer when I wasn't married, but even then, during college I only had one summer where I didn't have a job. Here's the thing: I can't guarantee any company that I can work weekends. We have weddings, guests coming from out of town, and even a few little weekend trips that I can't sacrifice with a job waiting tables. Plus, that throws off all the people that are willing to work for that amount. Most of the jobs I've had I've been blessed to make much more than minimum wage, so not only would I have to sacrifice weekends and weddings, but it would be hard to justify with smaller than average paychecks for me. So what do I do?

I'll blog, I say!

Or at least try. I was always bad at journaling as a child. I would write for a few days in a row and then write nothing for a month. Then, by the time you catch your inanimate, imaginative bedazzled Lisa Frank (or whatever your poison) notebook up, you're tired of it and throw it back under your bed or in the bottom drawer of your nightstand where you're sure no one will ever discover it, especially your snot-nosed brother.  (To his defense, my brother has great hygiene).

Now we put those thoughts online. Oh goodness, I'm having a xanga memory. Is this really the same thing? I hope not...

So my purpose of this blog, other than the entertainment purpose of giving me something to do this summer, is to talk food, talk education, talk movies, talk faith, talk love (and not in that order, silly.)

Regardless of all the craziness of the summer that I'll be having, it's life! And I married Rich! My last name should drive me to look at this life with optimism and excitement! Life is new, life is exciting, and it's mine. Keeping the spirit full and content is half the work.

Here we go...to infinity and beyond!
Or "falling with style" at least until August.

1 comment:

  1. Look who's a blogger!

    Want to trade places for a day? I could use one day of peace and quiet and you could play practice parent?

    KK

    ReplyDelete